Monday, April 12, 2010

Single or Multiple Forests, Trees, Domain in Active Directory?

I have some work to do designing a domain model with Active Directory. I have decided on a single forest model because there is no real reason to choose a multiple forest model. I am stuck now on deciding tree design. I wonder should I use a single or multiple trees. The design I am working on has the company upgrading from Windows NT 4.0 and Novell Netware to Windows Server 2003.





Since I am upgrading, shouldn't I choose a multiple tree design or should I keep it as simple as possible with a single tree design? How do you diagram a multiple tree design?

Single or Multiple Forests, Trees, Domain in Active Directory?
Microsoft recommend as few domains as possible. Only use domains as a security barrier, or as a way to segregate off separate autonomous business units.


Diagrams tend to be done, with triangles representing a domain, circles inside the triangles represent ou's and ovals represent sites.


In a migration situation such as the one mentioned. You could create a new domain create a realm trust to the Novell Netware domain and a one way forest trust to the NT domain, migrate all the users out of the older domain into your new 2003 domain and you are pretty much done.


Maybe you should look at the microsoft exam 70-297 it is all about designing AD domain, tree and forests.

dentist

No comments:

Post a Comment